Thursday, August 16, 2007

Sorry, Love

I spent a pleasant day (or rather remainder of the day, seeing as we have to perform two shows every morning) watching shows today, a total of 4 in fact. The first was Joined at the Heart, a musical about the life of Victor Frankenstein. It was, in my opinion, too draggy, contained too many songs that weren't very nice to begin with, mediocre singing and acting...oh, there was one actress who was so bad, she was distracting. I made it through the whole show, only to leave five minutes to the end. I swear that was about all I could take.

The second show was The Space In Between, set literally in a jazz bar, the Jazz Bar next to our performance venue. It was a great ambience, the bar was closed for the duration of the performance and the actors used the bar space as their stage. Very philosophical, yet funny. Again, I didn't stay for the whole show as I had to go look for Su-ping and Eleanor, to watch another show.

Painting Music - The Colour of Sound was the third and the most enjoyed show of the day. Set in a church, with a very competent pianist and talented cellist and clarinetist, it showcased an artist painting on a canvas to music played by these musicians. 5 songs were played in all and I most loved the Baroque Sonata in C minor and the song about the crucification of Jesus. It was so beautiful and the acoustics in the church were just awesome. The results on canvas were at times stunning, bold and yet

I ended the day with Sorry Love, a very evocative dance piece by two dancers about domestic abuse. She moved with so much grace and lyricism..oh and her body! So tight and taut, but a little manly. The guy was abit more flamenco in style, not as graceful in movement but he provided a good balance to her style. If anything, i thought it was good he be different - providing a subtle warning of the impending rift in their relationship. I loved it.

No comments: