Sunday, May 10, 2009

The forerunner of great women

Queen Hapshepsut was the only female Pharaoh in Egyptian history, who after her death, had images of her as well as her name erased from all carvings, paintings and literature.

During her reign, the kingdom flourished, with many bold trading and exploring expeditions and great building projects amongst her acheivements. One might ask then, why was her name and her images erased?

Who had it done? Archaelogists think that her nephew/stepson was the culprit - one evidence being the fact that he had his name carved over her erased one.

Why was it done? Apparently, to uphold the male lineage of the Pharaoh line. It wouldn't be good for future generations to know that one of the Pharaohs had been female.

Imagine that. This woman, who did so much for the country and who proved that she was a good ruler, had to succumb to this age-old preference for the male gender.

Which brings me to think further, how many women might have rose to success or fame if they hadn't been thumbed down by this "male is better" rule? How many girls, if they had been given the chance to study in school instead of boys who were too busy playing to care, would have been leaders now? Millions or even billions!

I really am thankful that I was born in the society that I am in, thankful for the chance to study and thankful that my parents have never practiced male favouritism, unlike some of my friends. Thankful that I don't have to look at the ground everytime a man passes by, or wear a veil, or be subject to only doing menial tasks.

What about you?

1 comment:

serene seow said...

I am thankful too, for I am able to make music wherever and whenever I like to. Either by myself, or with others including men. Can you imagine that there are still places in this world where women are not allowed to make music in public?